Sunday 18 January 2015

Making Your Hair Last Longer Between Washes


Washing long hair has got to be the biggest chore for us girls especially if you, like me leave it to dry naturally. I used to wash my hair every single day to make it look nice without using heat and damaging my hair but little did I know at the time that washing your hair everyday is equally as damaging.

Over the last few years I've come up with a number of tips to make your hair last that little bit longer between washes and I thought some of you might find them helpful.

♥ The most important one I mentioned above and that's not washing your hair everyday. I know it can be hard especially for those who have oily hair and find their hair needs washed a lot but there is a reason for this. Your hair produces natural oils that it needs to stay healthy, when you wash your hair you effectively strip these oils from your hair making it clean. If you're washing your hair too often your hair over produces these oils to replace the ones you're washing away. So if you wash it less often your hair doesn't over produce these oils.






♥ To help train your hair to not need washed everyday your best bet is starting at a time where you know you don't need to do anything for a few days. That way if you have greasy hair so what nobody is going to see it. If you do go out however dry shampoo is a saviour, my favourite at the moment is Batiste's Tropical one because it smells lovely and helps refresh my hair.


♥ Clarifying shampoo is another must for anyone struggling with oily hair. It shampoos hair intensively and clears any blocked follicles and gets rid of any product build up which prevents hair getting greasy as quickly.

♥ Another good tip is to use a hair oil on your hair. I know, I hear you scream "why would I add oil to my already oily hair". Well it works, if your hair is sufficiently moisturised it won't need to overproduce natural oils, just don't go over board with it and avoid applying at the roots because that can leave hair looking greasy.



♥ Don't touch/play with your hair. I know its natural for a lot of us to want to fix our hair constantly or play about with it but by doing that you're actually making your hair greasy quicker. Think about how many things your hands touch a day, are they always nice and clean when you fix that stray piece of hair? Probably not! 

♥ Avoid using excess products. This is quite a big one but also one a lot of people don't really think about. The more products you put in your hair, the more clogged the follicles get, only use the products you really need too and if you can avoid it then don't use any.


 ♥ My favourite thing to do when I find my hair is due a wash is to just wear it up in a pony or a bun with a pretty scrunchy or hair clip which totally distracts from the fact that your hair is due a wash. These are also great for when you're training your hair to not need washed every day.

♥ My last tip is to plan ahead. Those days of "I can't I'm washing my hair" really is a legitimate thing. If you know you're going out Saturday night and want nice freshly washed hair and have a meal on the Sunday then make sure you wash it on the Friday night so that your hairs lovely for both weekend days etc. Washing your hair at night can also be a big help for both saving time and stopping hair getting greasy as quick.


Training your hair does take time but it is most definitely possible. My hairs gone from needing washed every day to being able to last 3 sometimes even 4 or 5 days if I'm lucky before needing washed which has saved me a whole lot of time.

I hope you found some of these tips helpful, let me know if you have any more!

Lots of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and give me feedback, I really appreciate it and I read and reply to all the comments! x